Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Outdoor exercise and your mood.

To fix what ails you, take your workout outside.  Of course on a day like today dress for the weather.  New research from England's University of Essex finds that just five minutes of "green exercise"--cycling, gardening, fishing--can boost your mood and self-esteem.  I have had clients say, "I didn't think I would enjoy working out outside", and found that they had an extra boost of energy and even started noticing things around them that never came into focus before. 

The study also concurs with previous research showing that outdoor walks battle depression better than mall walks do.  Other benefits of outdoor activity:
  • Greater exposure to health-promoting vitamin D (from the sun)
  • Enhanced cognitive functioning
  • Increased compassion
  • More time outside can mean less time in doctors office
I have a great deal of energy myself and when I am outside I feel my energy level increase.  I haven't always been an outside girl, but you can't keep me inside now.  There are so many different things to do here in Colorado Springs, get out and explore what nature has to offer.  You never know, you may even like it.

I run indoor and outdoor Get Fit classes, mostly indoor now that the weather is turning, but if you have a group of friends that would enjoy or at least want to give it a try, we can create your own Get Fit Class and hit the great outdoors.

No comments: