Monday, October 17, 2011

Expand your perspective.

You don't have to wait for external circumstances to create perspective-expanding experiences.  You can do so yourself by; visualizing your own wedding or funeral, visualizing your retirement, visualizing how you'd feel if a family member died, and so on.  Steven R Covey

Don't you think it's hard enough to get people and families to make arrangements for their wills, estate planning etc and now he is talking about visualizing your funeral and how people will eulogize you.  If we could all plan our death out so our families don't have to go through some of the hassles that can come up, our families would be able to concentrate on grieving instead.

Visualizing for retirement is not so easy when I am thinking about myself on the beach or in a far away country, but when it comes to being cognitive about how much money I would need and how many bills I would have, the visualizing comes a little harder.

This last one is a hard one, I would just be ripped to pieces if one of my daughters or grand kids passed away and to think about it kind of makes my stomach turn right now. 

What I take away from this is, go ahead and talk to your family, spouse, and friends.  Bring up different scenarios to kind of put it out there.  What do you think would happen and maybe just discussing the issues would take some of the scariness away.  You can plan all you want though and you really don't know how you would react when the actual time comes.

No comments: