Thursday, March 1, 2012

Quality over quantity hmmmm

I own a personal training business and I am constantly thinking of ways to offer a better service to my clients. I have recently revamped my business model to shy away from my "boot camp" image.  I don't have any misgivings about offering boot camps, but as a Certified Personal Trainer and one who believes in quality over quantity, I felt the need to differentiate what I provide.  There are clientele that are best suited to attend boot camps and  clientele who should NOT.  I train those clients who should not.  Why?

Do you know someone that may have joined a boot camp or a gym, attended faithfully everyday for a month or so and then you find out they pulled a muscle or sprained something?   I am not advocating that boot camps or gyms hurt people, but I do believe the client who hasn't exercised in years needs more personal attention.   One of the concepts of a boot camp or group x class is sheer numbers.  Have you been to an group exercise class at the local gym?  Isn't it usually packed body to body, especially if it's a popular class?  Do you think those members are getting the much needed attention they should as a person just starting an exercise routine again?  At this point, you may be thinking to yourself; probably not.

Why is it important to get more personal attention?  After years of inactivity, you probably shouldn't be training so hard.  Do you look at the guy over in the corner and think to yourself "he looks to be about as old as me and I can lift that much too". I specialize in working with women, who have never walked into a gym.  Women have a tendency to do cardio only and need to know it is just as important to do strength training as well. Many people do not know what they should be doing either and that is a great time for a professional to help them get started.

When you think of a boot camp instructor, does someone dressed in military fatigues and screaming orders at you come to mind?  Now of course all boot camp instructors are not like that, but they do exist.  Have you seen 30-40 people in a group doing push ups and look like worms moving up and down.  That is how people get hurt.  All exercises should be modified and corrected according to the fitness level.  If you have a ratio of 1 to 40, how can you possibly get the much needed attention or modifications?   You can't.

Having a lower quantity allows more time to focus on quality; and also allows more time for connection through comments and corrections. Safety is key to sticking with your exercise routine and making it a lifestyle change.  In this way, it’s not about building a large community; it’s about fostering an engaged one. As far as I’m concerned, there’s no greater success than that.

I offer a Fitness 101 Back to the Basics program designed to get you started, once you complete the 12 week program, you can safely join a gym and know exactly what you should do and how you should it.
For more information and to buy scroll to right side of this page.

No comments: