Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Schedule your time wisely.

Check your monthly or annual calendar for any appointments you may have previously made, and evaluate their importance in the context of your goals.  Steven R Covey

I usually talk about priority management over time management.  What tasks are important and proven to be successful in accomplishing my goals?  I was reminded of this when I gathered my expenses for taxes.  I often say that advertising doesn't pay off in my business.  I believe it's about relationship building, getting to know the involved parties and trusting each other.  The one thing I did notice was that I still spent an awful lot of money on advertising, when I truly know that it has never paid off.

Why did I allow myself to expend money for something that doesn't work?  Fear?  Did I believe that maybe it would this time?  I could have taken that same amount of money and hired a business coach or work on the branding of the business.  I could have spent the time and money taking people out for coffee and building better relationships.  I could have done things differently because this didn't align within the context of my goals.  Now I am doing it differently and I would have never realized it had I not payed attention to previously spent money. 

My example is the same concept as Steven Covey's; who advises you to take a look at your calendar and see where your time is spent.  Does the time spent still align with your goals.  I noticed I spent quite a bit of time talking with anyone and everyone.  Now I am more focused and I am starting to see a positive change in where I want to target my efforts. 

Another great quote by Steven R Covey; The key is not to prioritize what's on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities.  Sometimes I don't get to the activities that should have been high priority.  It certainly has nothing to do with lack of time, because I do have the time.  It had to do with my lack of scheduling what was important to get done, because as we know, so many things come up in a day and then the day gets away from you. 

Take a look at your goals and decide whether your activities are still in alignment, if they are not, then make some changes that bring you back to center.



No comments: