Monday, September 12, 2011

National Cholesterol Education Month

Get educated and know what your levels are and what they mean to you.  Many years ago, I went through a health crisis in my life and I thought I was having heart attacks, it turned out to be esophageal spasms and hurt as much as a heart attack.  During the course of being transported to the emergency room, testing and going through the treadmill and heart workup at my cardiologist appointment, we found out that I had very high cholesterol.  At the time I didn't know my mother had heart disease and eventually died from complications of it and diabetes. 
I spoke with the doctor and he said everything else was ok and that I needed to see the nurse to get a prescription for cholesterol lowering medication.  I reluctantly saw the nurse and told her I wanted to try to lower it without taking the medication, she was not too happy with that statement and said I would never be able to do it.  I then said I would like to try it and if I am unable to lower it naturally, I would come back and get the medication.
I then left and went to the store and bought the book, Controlling Cholesterol the Natural Way by Dr Kenneth H Cooper.  I read every page of that book and made the changes I believed I could work with.  My cholesterol was 239 and in 3 months I lowered it to 161.  When I went back to the nurse, she couldn't believe it.  I advised her that she had not encouraged me to give it a try. 
Now I will say I wanted to try it the natural way first and keep in mind, all the other tests came out perfect, if there had been other complications I may have tried it their way. 
I believe we should try to stay off as many medications as possible until it is apparent that medication is the only way.
Get yours checked and do what needs to be done.

No comments: