Thursday, October 13, 2011

Influence others by example.

Your example flows naturally out of your character, the kind of person you truly are.  Your character is constantly radiating and communicating.  From it, others come to instinctively trust or distrust you and your actions.  By Steven R Covey

As I sit here pondering this statement, I remember a conversation I had with a couple other women yesterday in our newly formed Mistressmind group.  We talked about what type of person we were and how that allowed us to communicate or to be misunderstood by others.  It's interesting how we come into a situation with different views of that same situation.  The trick is actually understanding where we come from, getting a feel for the person we are interacting with and meeting in the middle to understand and find a solution to the situation at hand. 
One of the women had taken some prior training in this type of behavioral process and she says we have to access the other person, figure out their communication style and then change ours to accommodate theirs.  She also suggested that we are not to be ourselves and to solely communicate with them on their level.  So, let me understand this, we both want to converse with each other and I am suppose to figure their behavioral style and then create a game plan, but what if they are coming in the same way, figuring out me and how they will approach me. 
I am not sure I agree with that but it could be my behavioral style coming into play.  I believe in being myself and finding a middle ground.  Usually both parties are not trying to do this, but why not just be yourself, ask what the other party is looking for and then proceed to talk about it.


Being anything other than my natural self wouldn't feel right and would come off as unnatural and possibly deceiving.  I do understand what the reasoning behind it and it actually is a sales behavorial technique that apparently is very popular.  We can always make the interaction run pretty smoothly if both parties meet in the middle, have an adult conversation and leave all the I can read people pretty well and as long as I trust and act on my instinct, I can communicate fairly well with most.

No comments: